Becoming a Licensed Marriage Family Therapist in South Carolina
South Carolina Marriage and Family Therapists Licensure Requirements
In South Carolina, an applicant must submit an application for licensure. An applicant has three (3) years to obtain the license for marital and family therapy, which includes taking required exam. If an applicant takes longer than three years, he or she must start the application process from the beginning, which means paying the non-refundable application fee. To sit for the exam, applications and fees for both LMFT and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapy Intern LMFT/I must be in at least nine weeks before the test date.
General Qualifications for Licensure
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Be of Good Moral Character
- Criminal history
- Official transcripts showing proof that Educational Requirements were met
- Documentation that practicum experience requirement met
- Record of supervised work experience
- Pass State Licensing Examination
Education Requirements for Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) Licensing in South Carolina
Any person wishing to obtain the LMFT must show proof of completion of at least a master's degree program that consisted of 48 semester credit hours in marriage and family therapy according to the South Carolina LMFT application. This program must be approved by the COAMFTE or its equivalent.
|Education Requirements||Education Length||Available Programs|
|Undergraduate Work||Earn a Bachelor's Degree in Counseling||4 Years||Online or Campus|
|Graduate Work||Earn a Master's Degree in Counseling||5-6 Years||Online or Campus|
|PHD or Doctoral Work||Earn a Doctorate in Counseling||7-8 Years||Online or Campus|
The 48 semester credit hours must include:
- Theoretical Foundations (9 semester hours)
- Clinical Practice (5 semester hours) which must include a course in psychopathology and diagnostics of psychopathology
- Human Development (6 semester hours)
- Professional ethics, legal and identity issues (3 semester hours minimum)
- Professional research ( 3 semester hours)
- Supervised clinical practice (practicum) (9 semester hours) which includes 300 face to face with clients with a minimum of 50 hours of clinical supervision
Learn more about South Carolina MFT degrees.
Supervised Postgraduate Work Experience Requirement
In South Carolina, applicants must be licensed to practice, which means that an LMFT/I is necessary. Therefore, before an applicant can accrue the work experience necessary he or she must obtain their intern license first.
LMFT/I Check List
- Licensure and Education Review application which requires an affidavit of eligibility and photo
- Application fee
- Official transcript (master's level)
- Description of Coursework
- Plan for Post Master Clinical Supervision
- Examination scores if applicable
Once LMFT/I is obtained, an applicant working under the direct supervision of a licensed marriage and family therapist must accrue two years experience. During this time, 1500 hours of clinical experience in marriage and family therapy is accrued. In addition, 150 hours must be with direct client contact with families, couples, and individuals. Additionally, 150 hours must be face to face with a supervisor (100 hours of individual supervision and 50 hours of group or individual supervision)
Marriage and Family Therapists Examination Requirements in South Carolina
South Carolina residents considering a career in marriage and family therapy must also pass a state exam put forth by the SCLLR. An examination schedule may vary but there may be four (4) scheduled test dates a year.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Career Outlook In South Carolina
Marriage and family therapy is a continuously growing field according to the Occupational Outlook Handbook. Between 2021 to 2031, the employment rate for marriage and family therapists will increase 14%. As of May 2022, marriage and family therapists in South Carolina have an annual average wage of $34,440.
Research Additional Psychology Professional Licenses Granted by South Carolina:
- South Carolina Psychologist Licensing
- South Carolina Counselor Licensing
- South Carolina Social Work Licensing
- Learn More About The Career of an LMFT
2022 US Bureau of Labor Statistics job market trends and salary figures for marriage and family therapists are based on national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary. Data accessed August 2023.