How to Become a Social Worker in Florida
- Fordham University - Master of Social Work Online. Top-ranked graduate school of social work by U.S. News & World Report (2018)
- Baylor University - Master of Social Work Online. No GRE required.
- Case Western Reserve University - Online Master of Science in Social Administration. No GRE required.
What Types of Social Work Licenses Are Available in Florida?
Social workers are the largest professional group focused on providing mental and social health services to the public with the goal of preventing and treating behavioral problems. Their evaluations and counsel often have permanent, life-changing effects on families, individuals and groups. In Florida, there is one license available to potential licensees:
What are the Degree Requirements for a Social Worker in Florida?
The minimum education requirement for any individual interested in practicing Social Work in the state of Florida is either a Master's or Doctorate level degree in Social Work (MSW or PhD). In addition, the state of Florida mandates specific coursework to be completed while obtaining your degree:
1) 24 semester hours in Theory of Human Behavior and Practice Methods
2) A minimum of once course in psychopathology
3) An eight (8) hour course in Laws and Rules
4) Two-hour prevention of medical errors course
|Education Requirements||Education Length||Available Programs|
|LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker)||Masters||6 Years||Online or Campus|
|LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker)||Doctorate +3200 Clinical Hours||7-8 Years||Online or Campus|
How do I get my LCSW in Florida?
After earning either a Masters of Doctorate level degree in Social Work, including all the specific coursework requirements posted by the Florida Department of Health, candidates must accumulate a minimum of two years of post-masters professional experience under the direct supervision of a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), which shall include 1,500 hours of providing face-to-face psychotherapy, over a period of at least 100 weeks.
After fulfilling both the minimum degree requirements and supervised work requirements, candidates may apply for the Clinical Level Examination administered by the Association of Social Work Boards.
Note: After meeting all requirements for licensure and earning an initial license, all new Licensed Clinical Social Workers must complete a three-hour course covering HIV/AIDS and a two-hour class on domestic violence. This additional education must be completed by all licensees within six months of initial licensure.
Read about social work degrees in Florida.
Research Additional Psychology Professional Licenses Granted by Florida:
- Florida Psychologist Licensing
- Florida Counselor Licensing
- Florida Marriage and Family Therapist Licensing
- Explore Additional Social Worker Careers